12 December, 2011

Pre Eve

As I browse the internet one advertisement is always catching my eye.  The primary colours are black, brown, orange and/or red. Grey and black shapes flash past followed by blue white streaks and a lens flare or two. You have doubtlessly seen these ads too, they are for the mmorpg Eve Online, and I have finally decided to give it a chance. Following in the footsteps of others like Eve Online Review I am going to try to bring my unique perspective of my experiences in game. I am also going to try to review my learning curve and experiences here.

But first a little about me. I am a huge science fiction fan. From Asmov to Firefly, Star Trek to Heinlein, Battlestar Galactica to Nievin. Even stuff you might never have heard of like Solar Clipper.  Therefor it is not hard to assume I should like a space simulator and I do! I sunk whole days worth of hours into the FreeSpace franchise and consider them well spent but I haven't played anything good since.

By comparison my experience in mmorpg is not extensive. While I played 1 and 2 I have never joined the World of Warcraft and likewise anything else where I pay to keep playing. The exception of course was a brief sojourn in xBox Live with the Halo franchise but that is beyond the scope of this blog. I have been a member of an off-Trek German free to play creation known as Space Trek The New Empire and while that has been satisfactory I await something better.

So now I will finally give it a go. Build a ship and cast myself into the void. The graphics have never been better and with several 60 day trials floating around the time to start has never been better!

Next post depends on a stranger's generosity. If it takes some time to pickup a trial then I'll just speak of my plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment